Thursday, April 20, 2017

July 2017 Solicits


The July solicits for DC comics came out this week and I have to say, there were a couple of non-Super surprises there which means I might have to moonlight a little to get ready for the summer spending spree. A trade is coming out for the first year of Brian Q. Miller's Steph Brown Batgirl book, a series I ate up like an eclair. And Dolphin is guest starring in Aquaman! And those aren't even my favorite surprise!

And, as seems to be the norm, the super-books continue to look like they are on the right track with solid arcs and great art.

Here is the link on Newsarama for all the books:
http://www.newsarama.com/34080-dc-comics-july-2017-solicitations.html

And now the super-discussion.



SUPERGIRL #11
Written by STEVE ORLANDO
Art by BRIAN CHING
Cover by ROBSON ROCHA and DANIEL HENRIQUES
Variant cover by BENGAL
“ESCAPE FROM THE PHANTOM ZONE” part three! Supergirl must quell the maelstrom tearing apart the Phantom Zone, as Batgirl faces down the Phantom King one on one. If they fail, they’ll be lost in the Phantom Zone forever!

Love this cover with Supergirl ripping through the Phantom King-like bandages. I am really happy this is a prolonged Babs/Kara story arc, a way to cement their friendship in this continuity. And hoping that we get a great new understanding of the Phantom Zone.



DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #30
Written by MARGUERITE BENNETT
Art by CARMEN CARNERO, RICHARD ORTIZ and ANEKE
Cover by LAURA BRAGA
The original Bombshells lineup discovers how Killer Frost became a killer ice queen and end up tangled in the dangerous delusions of Hugo Strange. Then, as Faora joins the battle in Leningrad, she reveals to Supergirl what her origin is and how she is related to Faora.

DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #31
Written by MARGUERITE BENNETT
Art by CARMEN CARNERO, LAURA BRAGA and ANEKE
Cover by ANT LUCIA
The sound of a metronome echoes through Leningrad’s streets, reminding people they are still alive…for now. Supergirl can feel her father is still alive, and joins Harley’s traveling circus, where Power Girl and Superman have now become part of the show! Then, it’s the return of Bunny Constantine as he and Zatanna fight Nazi-controlled mythical creatures in order to find Raven!

Okay! Supergirl as the front-runner of both solicits for Bombshells. Although I worry that the addition of Power Girl is going to take page space away.

I guess it would be appropriate to say, given the Killer Frost cover, that this book is still on thin ice for me to read. Let's hope it captures some of the early magic.



ACTION COMICS #983
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC and JONATHAN GLAPION
Cover by CLAY MANN
Variant cover by GARY FRANK
“REVENGE” part one! A beaten and battered Superman can barely hold his own against the revenge squad of his greatest foes—but hope rushes from the horizon as the Superman family arrives!

ACTION COMICS #984
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC and JONATHAN GLAPION
Cover by CLAY MANN
Variant cover by GARY FRANK
“REVENGE” part two! A battle of titanic proportions rages through Superman’s arctic fortress as General Zod reveals his ultimate plan by accessing the Phantom Zone. Superman’s family’s lives hang in the balance as “Revenge” concludes.

First off, look at that cover! Make me a poster, a mouse pad, and a t-shirt please! The Super-family!!! Together again for the first time!!!

I don't think the Revenge Squad is the big threat Supes keeps warning everyone about. So maybe this will be a dry run for the eventual confrontation with Mr. Oz and the Watchmen gang.

Still wary about Zod who has been a bit overused this century. But maybe Rebirth will polish him up too!



SUPERMAN #26
Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON
Art by SCOTT GODLEWSKI
Cover LEE WEEKS
Variant cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
“ROAD TRIP” part one! It’s been an emotional and physical rollercoaster for Superman, Lois, and Jon: the Eradicator, Dinosaur Island, Frankenstein and the Bride, Multiversity, Reborn and Black Dawn—a barrage of terror and horror! What does the family need right now? Yep, you got it...a vacation!

SUPERMAN #27
Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON
Art by SCOTT GODLEWSKI
Cover by RYAN SOOK
Variant cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
“ROAD TRIP” part two! As the Kents’ family road trip takes some strange and unexpected turns that will reveal a foreboding threat reaching out to touch their lives, you can bet that their gonna need a vacation after their vacation!

I love how Superman is a more down-to-Earth family book. I loved the State Fair issue so I am hoping that this vacation storyline brings just as much fun. It can't all be super-enmeshed Oz stuff.


SUPER SONS #6
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Art and cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
Variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
“TEEN TITANS TANGO” part one! Robin has a new member in mind for the Teen Titans, and—spoiler alert—it’s Superboy! But something sinister is at work, and Damian’s real motives for introducing Jon to the team are revealed to devastating consequences!


I think the thing I am most excited about her is Jimenez take on the Titans. I bet his Kory is going to look awesome!

That said, I'd rather Jon stay solo or only teamed with Damian. Putting him on the Titans this early in his heroing career seems off.


SUPERWOMAN #12
Written by K. PERKINS
Art by STEPHEN SEGOVIA and ART THIBERT
Cover by KEN LASHLEY
Variant cover by RENATO GUEDES
“REDISCOVERY” part three! Superwoman has taken matters into her own hands, and has engaged in battle with the deadly Skyhook! The tragic origin of Crash is revealed, and the dark secret he carries has made him public enemy number one!


Looks like I'll need to dig through the back issues and reread Skyhook stories.

My interest in this book seemed to wane as Jimenez lost focus and control. But I am definitely excited to read what K. Perkins brings to the characters!

NEW SUPER-MAN #13
Written by GENE LUEN YANG
Art by BILLY TAN
Cover by PHILIP TAN
Variant cover by BERNARD CHANG
“THE ZERO ULTIMATUM” part three! Shanghai falls—and Emperor Super-Man rules the ashes! With an army of super-villains on the streets, the Justice League of China leads the movement to take the city back. New Super-Man’s head isn’t in the game upon discovering the shocking secret of his mother’s true identity, and Wonder-Woman has been transformed and Bat-Man is overwhelmed! It’s up to I-Ching and the New Flash of China to snap Kenan out of it and save Shanghai!


Well that's a creepy cover.

I assume that isn't Kenan but the 'first' of Omen's energy Super-Man experiments sitting on the wicked throne.

And I am happy that these characters are slowly being introduced and interacting with the US based heroes. This cover with the Justice League and Suicide Squad on the cover shows that nicely. 



BATMAN ’66/LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1
Written by LEE ALLRED
Art and cover by MICHAEL ALLRED
In pursuit of the time-traveling criminal known as Universo, the super-powered kids from the 30th century travel back to the 1960s to enlist the aid of the “greatest teen superhero ever”—Robin, the Boy Wonder! But Batman’s hard-boiled nemesis Egghead has stolen one of their unattended time bubbles and taken off to the Legion’s own time period. Looks like Batman has to head to the far-flung future with one group of heroes while Robin stays in the swinging sixties with another. Holy time-travel paradox!

 And then my favorite surprise of the month!

I have been aching for Legion stuff to buy. The idea of Silver Age Legion teaming with Batman '66 sounds like perfection. Add the Allred talent list and I think this is can't miss.

Anything I missed?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cover of Supergirl 11 is impressive. I hope the upcoming arc is good!

Although I think I'd prefer a different artist...

"I guess it would be appropriate to say, given the Killer Frost cover, that this book is still on thin ice for me to read."

Cold puns? Seriously? Not cool, man, not cool. It's not a "ice" thing to do.

... I'll stop now.

"First off, look at that cover! Make me a poster, a mouse pad, and a t-shirt please! The Super-family!!! Together again for the first time!!!"

As soon as I saw it, I considered make it my desktop theme. It's a terrific cover. And look how prominent is Supergirl! Kara is finally returning to home (Action Comics) and I'm happy.

I wonder how Dan Jurgens will handle the character. He has ever written Kara?

"Superwoman" first story arc became a mess and Lana's current attitude is putting me off. I hope she makes some growing-up soon.

Off-topic, but I have a confession to make. I wrote a "Supergirl Publication History" page for the DC Database. I included some pieces of information found in your site -mainly bits of different interviews-, citing Supergirl Comic Box Commentary as one of my sources and providing links to every pertinent entry blog. Aaaaand right after creating the page I realized I should have asked for permission first.

I'm awfully sorry, Anj. I assure I didn't mean any harm. Do you want me to edit the page out?:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Supergirl_Publication_History

Anj said...

Thanks for including me. The site is here to be read and if people want to use it as a reference, that's fine with me!

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

A little off-base, since I'm a bit behind, but do you think that farmer who lives next to the Kents is The Comedian? I'm still thinking that Dr. Oz is Nite Owl, and ke is keeping Ozymandias prisoner. He was the one who was really affected by what Ozy had done in WATCHMEN. My assumption is that Ozy is being held until Dr. Manhattan can "fix things" after he created and changed the new52, which we saw him do in BEFORE WATCHMEN.

Dr. M could easily have brought the dead characters back to life, but why would The Comedian be living next to the Kents? Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

"Thanks for including me. The site is here to be read and if people want to use it as a reference, that's fine with me!"

No, thank you. Your blog has been an invaluable help.

"A little off-base, since I'm a bit behind, but do you think that farmer who lives next to the Kents is The Comedian? I'm still thinking that Dr. Oz is Nite Owl, and ke is keeping Ozymandias prisoner."

I don't know... Neither The Comedian nor Nite Owl had powers... and Mr. Oz is powerful enough to restrain Mxyzptlk. Then again, Ozymandias had no powers either.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the new Supergirl/Batgirl story! - Glad to hear you were also a fan of Bryan Q. Millar's amazing run on Batgirl. Speaking of Supergirl, thogh, this reminds me of the hilarious issue where Supergirl and Stephanie Brown fought holographic Draculas under Millar's cheerful direction... :D

Anonymous said...

IF "Batman '66" can meet the Legion of Superheroes within its own light campy context then The Dynamic Duo can certainly meet the Silver Age Supergirl....I can see her and Young Grayson getting along famously (okay Dick is in HS and Kara was in college but thats a small matter to be redressed continuity wise). Maybe Superman has disappeared and Kara needs The World's Greatest Detective's help in finding him....and maybe she is still in "secret weapon mode", Bruce and Dick can convince her to decloset herself so to speak...
Dozens of possibilities...

:)

JF