Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Mike Maihack At HeroesCon


I have been talking recently about how summer is my convention season and that as the time grows near I get more and more fidgety. I guess I am still a kid at heart, getting excited over these events, and preparing way too early.

One of the things that feeds the fire for me is the temporal proximity of Heroes Convention in North Carolina to the Boston Comic-Con, my 'home' con.

Heroes-Con is a pure comic convention, drawing big names, and close enough that I can dream about one day going. It also seems to draw a number of guests that have yet to come up to the New England area. I always peruse the list and wish that I could interact with some of the names there. For example, this year Richard Case, Matthew Clark, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Matt Fraction, and Doc Shaner were all there. I would love to meet those guys.

Twitter allowed me to go the con vicariously. 

Mike Maihack was also there. And I have to say that I can only hope that I will run into him at some point. I love his interpretation of Supergirl. And Maihack tweeted a lot of stuff that I felt I needed to share.


First off, Heroes Con held an art auction for charity (I believe the Hero Initiative). Maihack did this painting, on canvas, of one of his favorite subjects, Batgirl and Supergirl.

Per twitter, this piece went for a cool $1600. Way to go bidders!


But the Maihack posted some of his commissions.

I love this one the most, Supergirl in her DCAU white shirt costume. Maihack does a lot of Supergirl pieces but the 'white shirt' version is pretty rare. Love it! Love the big smile!


Then this piece, a 'selfie' Supergirl piece in a more classic blue shirt/red skirt.

Again, joy!


And then some doodles on coasters! I'd buy a set if printed on something sturdy!

Why aren't we getting an All-Ages monthly 'worlds finest' by Maihack and these two?


Head to Maihack's twitter feed to see all his commissions (@mikemaihack). It isn't just Supergirl. There were plenty of Batgirls as well (particularly the Burnside version). But of the non-Supergirl ones, I loved this Wonder Woman the most. Just fierce!

Boston Comic-Con is 5 weeks away!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

> Why aren't we getting an All-Ages monthly 'worlds finest' by Maihack and these two?

Indeed, why aren't we getting this? Inquiring minds want to know. How about an artbook of Mike Maihack Supergirl/Batgirl @ $20 per book.


Regards

Anonymous said...

Love the Supergirl smile. So full of life. This personifies Supergirl.