Saturday, January 29, 2011

New Kotobukiya Supergirl Statue


A new Kotobukiya Supergirl statue was recently solicited, part of the company's Bishoujo Collection.

I have to say that from afar, this looked like a pretty nice piece. Initially, I actually thought that it might end up being part of my collection.


Certainly, Supergirl expression is very nice, the costume is on the money. She has a great anime-style face. The hair and cape have a nice dynamic feel to them.


And it includes Streaky. That's a nice version of the super-cat.



But it still crosses the line of 'too much' as many Kotobukiya statues do. It's just too much ... if you know what I mean.

I mean this view from behind, the fan service up-skirt shot, exemplifies everything that I don't like about the Kotobukiya series. I don't think I would want this as part of my Supergirl collection. And it's sad. Because it is close to being a great piece, close to being something I wouldn't be embarrassed to have on the shelf.

But not close enough. It isn't for me.

It is scheduled for a June 2011 release.

6 comments:

Kandou Erik said...

He he, the minute I saw that first image - I knew what the complaint about the statue was going to be about.

It's Japan - that kind of thing sells, sad to say.

Anonymous said...

As much as I like manga the booty (or even boobs)fan-service is aturn off for me. As Kandou Erik said in the previous comment "It's Japan-that kind of thing sells, sad to say." Yep... sadly it does.
-ealperin

Unknown said...

true... about the fan service, but also, you can consider paying a little more and ask an artist to cover her up.

Saranga said...

Mauricio beat me too it. Could you get it and ask a customiser to paint shorts on her? It wouldn't change the pose, but at least it wouldn't be quite so sexist.

Anonymous said...

Or you could just not buy it...

:D

John Feer

Anonymous said...

<>Hal Jordan<>
17... 17... 17...
<>/Hal Jordan<>

<>Oliver Queen<>
Say there, what's your name honey?
<>/Oliver Queen<>