Sunday, May 2, 2010

It's Official ... Middleton Off Supergirl


I figured that Josh Middleton was off cover duties on Supergirl after three straight issues were released/solicited without his art.

He recently made it official on his blog. Here is the link and some of the post:
http://joshuamiddleton.blogspot.com/2010/04/so-long-supergirl.html

Well, that's it. Supergirl issue 51 marks my final Supergirl cover, and my last bit of mainstream comic book work for the foreseeable future (even if I was just doing covers at this point). I have plenty of other stuff to keep me busy, and I want to dedicate every minute of my free time to personal work only, so the comic book covers had to go, bringing to an end, with a whimper, ten years of mainstream comic book work-for-hire.

My deepest gratitude to all of you who have supported my comic book work over the last decade. Your comments and kind words have always been an inspiration, and I feel a real obligation to do my best for all of you, which is one more reason it was time to move on.

I can only praise Middleton's work on the book and hope he has a great future. I am sort of bummed that he sounds like he is done with comics in general.

Middleton started doing covers with the landmark Supergirl #34, the first issue of the Sterling Gates/Jamal Igle run. At the time, it really felt like the title was starting fresh. Middleton's unique and stunning style was a perfect complement to the great work happening on the inside.

The purpose of a cover is to get the attention of a curious buyer scanning the racks. There is no doubt that Middleton's work was eye-catching.


I mean ... here is my favorite cover from his run, Supergirl #38. Supergirl is in the foreground, a look of fear or concern on her face. In the background ... ethereal, spectral ... is the looming Superwoman. Dazzling. All his covers had that attention-grabbing feel.

Another thing I appreciated from Middleton was his occasional breakdowns of his covers on his blog, showing the process from thumbnail to sketch to pencil to color. I love that behind-the-scenes stuff.

Anyways, best of luck to Josh Middleton on his future endeavors. And thanks for the great covers for the last year plus.

Now the big question is who will be the next cover artist? Whoever it is, they have big shoes to fill.

5 comments:

Saranga said...

I will miss his covers. they were one of the highlights of the issues for me.

Adam Smasher said...

Bummer. #43 was my favorite. SG soaring in the sky with the birds. A small joyful smile on her lips - free, happy. I loved the line work, the movement in the piece. Great work. I'll miss ya Josh.

TalOs said...

Truly appreciate all the hard work that went into making those in the end just stuningly sweet as like covers during your time supplying them for this title and here's wishing you nothing but the very best in whatever avenue you chose to persue next too, Josh! :-)

Gene said...

His covers were great, #34 was simply iconic. Josh Middleton has definitely earned a place in the Supergirl Hall of Fame.

Martin Gray said...

All the best Josh, and thanks!

Now, what's Brian Bolland up to ...