Saturday, January 24, 2009

April 2009 Solicitations

April 2009 looks like a busy month for the super-titles. There is also a surprise and a big disappointment.

With the economy on a downturn I am lucky enough to not have had to pare down my pull list too much. Hope everyone else is as lucky.





SUPERGIRL #40
Written by Sterling Gates
Art by Jamal Igle & Jon Sibal
Cover by Joshua Middleton


“Who is Superwoman?” part 4! Following last issue, Supergirl must decide what to do with a shocking piece of information that casts all of “New Krypton” in a new light! Meanwhile, Lois begins putting together clues regarding the body found in Metropolis Harbor and the strange message it was broadcasting.

Well, it looks like we might have an unveiling in this issue. Supergirl certainly looks shocked. But casting all of "New Krypton" in a new light? Who could be behind the cowl that will fulfill that big promise?

I don't know what exactly to think of the composition of the cover with Superwoman's posterior so 'in my face', but Kara certainly is beautifully rendered.



SUPERGIRL: COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE EIGHTH GRADE #5
Written by Landry Q. Walker
Art and cover by Eric Jones

It’s graduation day, and things couldn’t be more complicated! The whole gang is here, and the cosmic craziness is about to get way out of hand!

Talk about the quickest graduation in comics history ... hee hee. Anyways, I love how the cover is the bizarro version of the first issue. And I think Belinda Zee is a complete hoot. So I am happy to see her so prominently displayed.

I am sad that this is only a 6 issue mini. Let the barrage of public support for this title be aimed at DC starting now!



ACTION COMICS #876
Written by Greg Rucka
Art by Eddy Barrows & Ruy Jose
Cover by Andrew Robinson


Enter: Ursa!

Not much info for this issue which may be because DC isn't ready to share who are inside these costumes. Apparently we learn very quickly in their first solo issue who Flamebird and Nightwing are.

I think I am going to hold off on my expectations about this title until I hear about who the heroes really are.


SUPERMAN #687
Written by James Robinson
Art by Renato Guedes & Wilson Magalháes
Cover by Andrew Robinson


Mon-El has agreed to be Metropolis’s new champion – unfortunately Metropolis wants nothing to do with him! In the wake of the events in the “New Krypton” saga, Mon-El faces fierce anti-Kryptonian sentiments from a city that assumes he’s Kryptonian. Oh, and there’s also the not-so-small problem of Rampage. Meanwhile, the Guardian and his Science Police must deal with the Prankster’s new wave of murderous fun. And Black Lightning and Steel face the repercussions of a world without Superman.

I have to say I am just not a big Guardian fan. And I don't think I know enough about the current Mon-El to say if I am excited about a title involving him as well. I most likely will buy the title for at least the first few issues since it will impact the Super-titles. I trust Robinson to keep me coming back for more.


SUPERMAN: WORLD OF NEW KRYPTON #2
Written by James Robinson & Greg Rucka
Art by Pete Woods
Cover by Gary Frank
Variant cover by Pete Woods


Superman thought that joining his people on New Krypton would allow him to ease some of the tension between Earth and his people, but lately nothing’s been easy for the Man of Steel! Alura still shows no signs of becoming the kind of leader Superman wants her to be. The people of New Krypton still don’t understand the responsibilities that come with their new abilities. And as for Zod? Superman doesn’t even know where to start with Zod. All The Man of Steel knows is that he can’t be trusted. And Zod is about to prove Superman right.

So only two issues in and we see a Superman/Zod confrontation. I am filled with anticipation for this miniseries to see if this gives a more complete wrap-up of the New Krypton storyline. I mean, we can't have a planet full of Kryptonians in the DCU solar system forever right?

One thing that does stand out is the writing credits. Robinson and Rucka? I thought Kreisberg was the writer for the whole series. Is this a mistake? A re-write? Or is the series a joint effort from the entire creative team?

And now a surprise ....


SUPER FRIENDS #14
Written by Sholly Fisch
Art by Scott Shaw! & Terry Beatty
Cover by J. Bone


When the alien Kanjar Ro invades Earth, he freezes all humans so that they won’t mess with him – including the Super Friends! What he doesn’t know is that he’s about to face resistance from their super best friends – the Super Pets!

It seems that Streaky remains as powerful a force in the DCU in 2009 as he did in 2008! I can't get enough super-cat. And while I recognize Ace, Krypto, and Beppo ... I don't know what to make of the Wonder Kangaroo?

And art by Scott (Captain Carrot) Shaw! Perfect.

I guess I will have to buy this issue.

And know the disappointment.

Guess what was not solicited again ...


I don't know what to think anymore.

Will this title ever come out?

It was announced last May (I think). I just wish DC would come out with a statement about it. Has it been scrapped? Do they have a ballpark guess as to a release? Summer? Fall?

Dan Didio had this to say in his Newsarama 20 questions column (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/010923-DiDio-20-Answers.html):

8. The forthcoming James Robinson Justice League book...
DD:
Sure – right now the Justice League story that he’s telling, because of the quality of the painted art that we’re getting, it’s moving slowly. Again, we’re very conscious of our schedules and putting books out on time. We’re also conscious of the fact that we made a mistake in getting out a little too early with this book. We were all excited that James was working on a Justice League project, so we got it out there probably a little too early for our own good, and we’re going to be a little more judicious on how we release our information. I don’t want to get everybody overexcited about it, but the book is on its way.

Looks like they may be waiting to get a number of issues 'in the can' so they don't have delays. I guess I can deal with that. But at what point do they simply put the fire to the creative team to get moving .... or pick another artist (despite the wondrous Cascioli art).

Anyways, looks like a good month! Looking forward to seeing the face under the Superwoman mask at last.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

2009 looks to be a hot year for Supergirl, it is a shame therefore that she doesn't yet have a solid tent-pole team affiliation to give the character additional sales/recognition momentum.
Personally, with Birds of Prey lamentably cancelled I'd like to see Kara team up with Batgirl (Babs? There are rumors she will walk again in those yellow boots) and start their own all-female super-team.
Just a thought...more like a delusion I'm sure....

:D

John Feer

Nikki said...

I think wonder kangaroo was just a way to make the 'wonder' side of the triangle feel included. That will be the first issue of superfriends that I will pick up

Heath Edwards said...

i'm looking forward to all the super-titles these days. good times...

Anonymous said...

Supergirl on the cover of #40:

MOM!?!

Anonymous said...

* Supergirl #40 - finally FINALLY we apparently get to learn exactly who our mysterious Superwoman is going by that cover. My bet is that it's Lesla Lar. Heh. :P

* Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures In The Eight Grade #5 - Belinda
Zee as the 'Bizarro' Supergirl? I like.

* Action Comics #876 - Man I pitty both Nightwing and Flamebird if they're going up against Ursa-Zod! YIKES! I wonder if Lor-Zod/"Chris Kent" will return in this particular issue too? :/

* Superman #687 - Mon-El taking the place of Superman as Metropolis's new champion? I honestly think that right should go to either Power Girl, Supergirl or Steel instead.

* Superman: World Of New Krypton #2 - So Alura's K poisoning has still been undetected eh? Ok. And Superman has to face off against General Dru-Zod yet again?? I think Superman will go for broke this time around.

* Super Friends #14 - I usually don't get this real kiddie aimed title but since it features the Legion of Super-Pets of the 21st Century era DCU here's continuity I just might make an exception.

And finally...

* Justice League #1 - first, let it be known that THIS particular fan doesn't want Supergirl to join the JL but would prefer her as an active member yet again in the Teen Titans. (I mean aside from Wonder Girl being on the team who else is there to really draw in the readers?) *Sighs* Regardless I unfortunately think that just like Trials of Shazam with Howard Porter originally doing his painted art for that title where later they replaced him with Renato Guides I think this will be the same for this particular title if it can't meet it's intended dead line as apparently DC are praying for it too.

Anywho, still looking forward to each and everyone of these Super-Family themed titles come April! :D

Anonymous said...

Forget the Wonder Kangaroo, how does the giant squid fit into that team???

Anonymous said...

Aquaman perhaps? :/